Walking is the easiest, cheapest and one of the most sociable ways to become more active.
Health Walks are FREE organised walks in rural areas and towns, led by volunteer walk leaders. Walks are suitable for beginners lasting between 45 minutes and one hour. They take place at various times of the day, throughout all districts in Lincolnshire.
Walking is a great way to meet new people, get some fresh air and gentle exercise. There’s no need to book ahead, just turn up wearing comfortable clothes and shoes. Everyone is welcome.
Jenny, a retired teacher, says:
‘I cannot emphasise too much how good the health walks are. I have a chronic lung disorder, COPD, which means I often get chest infections and am confined to bed. If I have had a chest infection, I can do one of the shorter health walks instead and build up my health and strength in a really enjoyable way. I’ve seen parts of Louth I didn’t know existed and met new people, and I now really look forward to the walk each week.’
View the 2013/2014 Health Walks annual report here.
A list of current walks is below, but there are always more being developed, and if you’d like to start one near you – get in touch with your local coordinator and become a volunteer walk leader.
Find your local Health Walk:
Walk Coordinator: Fran Taylor - 01205 354 320
Monday’s (except Bank Holidays):
- Conservative Club, Main Ridge Boston Lincs | 10am – 12:20 pm
- Kirton Town Hall, Station Road Kirton Boston Lincs | 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Noon Boston Library, County Hall Market Place Boston Lincs | 10am
- Acorn Day Centre, Horncastle Road Boston Lincs | 1pm – 3pm (referred group only)
- Zion Methodist Church, Brothertoft Road Boston | 10:30am -12:30pm
- Mayfields Broadfield Lane Boston Lincs | 2pm – 3:30pm
- The Evergreens, School Lane Butterwick, Boston | 2pm – 3:30pm
- Swineshead Church Hall Market Place, Swineshead Boston Lincs | 10am – 12:30pm
- St Thomas Church Hall, London Road, Boston Lincs | 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Boston Sports and Social Club, Fishtoft Road, Boston | 10am – 12 :30pm
- Old Leake Community Centre, Furlongs Lane, Old Leake, Boston | 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Please note New Age Kurling is available after some walking sessions as well as occassional bus trips.
City of Lincoln
Walk Coordinator: Holly Arrowsmith - 01522 873 581
Click here for the full timetable of West Lindsey Health Walks from October to December 2014.
Walk Coordinator Tracey Richardson – 01507 613446
- Woodhall Health Walk | Coronation Hall, Woodhall Spa | Every Monday except Bank Holidays | 9.30am – 10.30 am | 2-3 miles
- Skegness Community Walk | Various Locations please phone for more details | Every Tuesday | 10.00am – 11.00am | 2-3 miles
- Walk N Natter Walk | Meridian Leisure Centre, Louth | Every Tuesday | 2.00pm – 4.00pm | 3-5 miles
- HEELER’s Walk | Embassy Centre, Skegness | Every Tuesday | 1 mile
- Manby Community Walk | The Lancaster Arms, Grimoldby | 10.00am – 11.00am | 2-3 miles
- Walk N Natter Walk | Meridian Leisure Centre, Louth | Every Tuesday | 2.00pm – 4.00pm | 3-4 miles
- Wainfleet Community Walk | Bateman’s Brewery, Wainfleet All Saints | Every Friday except Bank Holidays | 10.00am – 11.00am | 2–3 miles
- Mablethorpe Community Walk | Station Sports Centre, Mablethorpe | Every Friday except Bank Holidays | 10.30am – 11.30am | 2 – 3 miles
- HEELER’s Health Walk | The Pavilion, Ancaster Avenue, Spilsby *| Every Friday except Bank Holidays | 1.30pm – 3.00pm | 1-2 mile
* These session will alternate between a health walk and a Walking for Health Nordic Walk.
Walk Coordinator: Carly Togher – 01522 870 252
Download the full list of North Kesteven Health Walks here.
Walk Coordinator: Rachael Smith – 01476 406 074
- Caythorpe | The Pavillions | Every Monday | 9.50am for 10.00am start | Contact: Jo 07943 380 571, Gordon 07779 214 209 or Graham 07986 143 493
- Ancaster | Ancaster Playing Fields | Every Monday | 9.50am for 10.00am start | Contact: Jan 01400 230 275
- Stamford | The Garden House Hotel | Every Monday | 1.45pm for 2.00pm start
- Grantham Mere’s Leisure Centre | Every Tuesday | 10.00am
- Ancaster | Ancaster Playing Fields | Every Wednesday | 9.50am for 10.00am start | Contact: Jan 01400 230 275
- Grantham | Priory Ruskin School Sports Complex | Every Wednesday | 12.50pm for 1.00pm start | Contact: Jill 07753 472 261
- Bourne | Bourne Woods or Sainsbury’s (alternate weeks) | Every Wednesday | 2.00pm
- The Deepings | Exeter Close, Deeping St. James or Community Centre, Market Deeping (alternate weeks) | Every Thursday | 1.50pm for 2.00pm start | Contact: Enid 01778 342 936
- Grantham | Belton Lane Children’s Centre | Every Friday | 10.00am | Contact: Jill 07753 472 261
- Haconby | Various meeting points | Every other Friday | Contact: Val 01775 750 479
- Grantham | Wyndham Park Car Park | Second Saturday in every month
- Ancaster | Ancaster Doctors Surgery | Last Saturday in every month | Contact: Jan 01400 230 275
- Bourne | Every other Saturday | Long walks up to 4 miles | Contact: Jack 01778 346 598
View summer Health Walks in Gainsborough here.
Contact Jackie Brown for more information on the Gainsborough and Saxilby Health Walks on 07778 622925
Click here for the downloadable leaflet of West Lindsey Health Walks from October to December 2014.
Contact Holly Arrowsmith for the rest of West Lindsey area on 01522 873 581
How can I get involved?
Just turn up at any of the walks above! Or there is Health Walk coordinator in every district in Lincolnshire who you can contact for more information. They can help you decide if the scheme is right for you.
Become a Walk Leader
Volunteer Walk Leaders organise and lead walks around towns and rural areas. It’s a great way to meet new people and encourage others to take part in regular activity.
To become a Walk Leader, you must attend a one-day training session in Lincolnshire. You can then work with your District Coordinator to start Health Walks in your local area.
Lincolnshire Health Walks work in partnership with Walking for Health, the national programme supported by Macmillan and The Ramblers.